Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Siren Song Of The Baby's Call


Paul handles bedtime, he's good at it, recently however Annette has had a little trouble. They rock and read stories and just when she is ready to to be put in her bed she asks for Mommy, and when Paul says no she starts to cry. After trying to calm her down he lays her down and she cries for a little while and he goes in to rock her again and she goes right to sleep if she hasn't already. Tonight I thought I'd help.

As it turns out she calmed down very quickly but I was a doubtful as to why so I thought I'd check to see if she had climbed out of her bed and started to play. When I went to the door and held very still to listen for playing I heard it, The Siren Call, it was faint but Annette was softly singing "I love mommy, I need my mommy, I love mommy, I need my mommy..." Could you resist?

I went right in.

I'm sure you would too, it was such a sweet song and it pulled me in as siren songs do. I rocked her to sleep, her breath was on my chest and her lashes brushed my collarbone in a sleepy blink signaling sleep.

I was in heaven, yes she could have fallen asleep by herself, she is three now, (although I think babies are babies until they turn five, this is a personal opinion) but I would have not been able to gather and store that memory away with the deepest hope that I have enough to last me through the winter of my life when there is no baby breath to warm my neck.

No comments: