Thursday, January 28, 2010

Emma

Are you watching the newest Emma on Masterpiece Theater? I did, and while I enjoyed the first episode I'm not yet sure it's my favorite, and that really surprises me. Up until this version all the most recently made Austins have been excellent, surpasing the older movies in doing real justice to the books and with Emma I'm just not sure.

I wonder if the problem is my expectation in representing the book, perhaps it's just difficult to capture the essence of Emma and round out the details in movie form.

With this Austin book I find fault the in movies there is always something I would change. In the 1996 Emma, with Gwyneth Paltrow, detail was lost. It was a beautiful movie and my favorite, but where for instance was Donwell Abby? Kate Beckinsale's movie that same year was better with detail, but not nearly as charming, way to stiff, and Mr. Knightly was a disappointment. Romola Garai has the lead in this new adaptation along with Jonny Lee Miller as Mr. Knightly (interesting choice) and Michael Gambon playing her worrying father, the cast is good but have they added too much?

I will be watching, I hope you will too, and let me know what you think.

No comments: