Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Book Love

There are some books that when they first come out I say to myself: this looks good I need to read it now! The reality hits when I sign up for the book at the library and find that I'm 198th in line to receive it. You might ask yourself, why not just buy the book?

This is a fair question, most people do just that. However I love books too much, I read them fast and often, then if I have bought the book or if it was given to me (one of my favorite gifts to get) I can not will myself to ever give it up. So shortly before I turned thirty I stopped buying books unless I know I will want to read them again and again, or possibly need to reference them at three o'clock in the morning when the Library is not open.

This happens.

You never know when the urge to dig into P. G. Wodehouse will strike or the need to make sure Mr. Rochester and Jane are still doing well will arise. There are just times you need to exercise your little grey cells with Poirot, and cry with Anne as all hope is lost as she sees Captain Wentworth again for the first time. (There are too many reasons to really list them all here.) I digress.

I have to remind myself, when I see a shiny new to world to open, or a lovingly used tome to explore, that it comes down to too many books not enough space. So now I check them out of the Library first, buy them later. At least, most of the time I do just that.
Everyone has their kryptonite.

So the whole reason for this ramble about books is to sing the praises of, one I think I'll buy: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, by Mary and Shaffer and Annie Barrows.

This is a book I first found out about through a newspaper review and immediately signed up for at the library only to be away when my turn came. Some time has passed and I was reminded again to read it this time!!! I have it in hand and now have fallen in love with the characters, and their stories. All this to say: it's beautiful, give yourself a little slice of the pie and try this book.

No comments: