Tuesday, March 10, 2009

On Babies and Chocolate




I was rocking my youngest little one to sleep last night, thinking of everything that needed to be accomplished before my day was over, and the new book that was waiting for me; when it hit me that of all the times in my life this was one that I needed to 'be in the moment' for. There she was all snuggled in asking me to sing to her, just wanting to be with her mommy for a little bit before her day was done, and I was only thinking of what lay on the other side of the door.
Life had been busier than usual for the past couple of weeks, and I was still in high gear. My only thought was get this kid to bed so I can have a little peace. Sometimes we mommies do need that and just getting through the day is running a never ending marathon of diapers, dishes, school work and balancing all those little personalities, it can be a wonderful thing to let Daddy take over. But the reality was last night that Annette needed me a little longer and it had been a quiet day, in comparison to the past week, I just really wanted to get to other things.

Thinking about it again makes me feel rotten. Why was I in such a hurry??? I know how fast kids grow. After all it was shocking just a month ago that Anya had lost her two front teeth and would be turning seven soon. When did that little girl get so big? Anya was just the one I was singing to and rocking to sleep. Too soon that would be Lila so big, then Annette, what was I doing? The house was a mess sure, but that's often the case with kids and it would be there waiting for me. (when do messy houses disappear?) The book is good, but is it as nice as a warm baby playing with your hair?

At least I can say that this story has a warm and fuzzy ending. Instead of ignoring the transient babyhood that lay in my arms I was reawaken in that moment to the opportunity at hand. There was a bit a babyhood still left in Annette and I would take full advantage of it! It only took a few minutes of rocking and singing before she was sound asleep, very happy and peaceful, and I still had most of my night left, and my priorities right.

Holding her reminded me that babies are like the very best kind of chocolate, the kind you would love to just gobble up and gorge yourself on, but that are really best enjoyed slowly, one at a time making the experience last as long as possible, the dark chocolate truffle moments of life. A clean house is great and a good book is even better, more like a Hershey's bars moment, absolutely yummy in their own right but always available and cheap to get. Babies however are luxuries not to be taken lightly.

I am grateful for the time I am given to spend with these beautiful girls, and how each stage is its own treasure. My house will be clean when I'm old and the books will still be there waiting for me. But I know that the memories of snuggles on a cold night, babies round bottoms , warm breath, sticky hands and time well spent with little ones will still be savored.

1 comment:

Katie Carter said...

I can so relate, Alisha! Thanks for the blog. Very well said.