Wednesday, March 4, 2009

From Hospitality to Hospitalization in 24 hours

In my last post I was talking about hospitality being followed by hospitalization in the dictionary, and that I don't like to mix the two in real life but that is just what happened last weekend. Now before you leap to conclusions I did not do anything to my guests that required them to need medical treatment, as far as I know they are all in robust health and are just as well as when we broke bread with them.

The same can not be said for my husband Paul. Two weeks before our dinner party he noticed something wasn't quite right and mentioned to me that his abdomen "felt squishy and what did a hernia look like?". Now I have plenty of experience with squishy tummies, three big babies have a tendency to make mommy a 'bit soft' and not just in the head, but a hernia???
This was definitely new ground for us both, I had him call his doctor who he visited a week later and found that it was indeed a hernia, and because Paul thought the other side "felt funny too" it could possible be a double H.

Now I know that this isn't a major medical situation and that it's easily fixed, but when there is something wrong with Daddy our world grinds to a halt. Paul owns his own business and is the whole show right now so if he isn't working there goes our income. Also we have three young girls that like to be held and wrestle with their daddy.

A hernia ???

This was going to be a challenge. Thankfully we have a heavenly Father up to that challenge and we prayed and so did our family and friends.

Paul's surgery was scheduled for the following Monday (After our Love One Another night) and it went really well. As it turns out he had two really big hernias and it was a good thing he went in, he is recovering now and with the help of my 'always there and will drop anything to help you brother Paul' he is back at work just 48 hours later just a little sore, but getting better. No more squishy tummy.
P. S. The word that directly follows herniate in the dictionary? It's: Hero, go figure.

1 comment:

Jessie said...

Sorry to hear that Paul was down for a few days! We sure depend on our husbands and Daddies! Glad he made a quick recovery! Praise the Lord.