Friday, September 18, 2009

Our Favorite Books To Read On A Fall Day


We LOVE read at our house. The girls think books are the best way to to cuddle up and spend an afternoon. I love all books, however children's books have always held a special place in my heart. Here are just some of our favorites:


Frances, books by Russell Hoban and Illustrated by Lillian Hoban. (The language and turn of phrase makes the stories a favorite of kids and parents alike. Paul and I have these at the top of our list!)


Arthur, books by Lillian Hoban. (These are great, I Can Read Books, for beginners)


Little Bear, by Else Holmelund Minarik, Pictures by Maurice Sendak. (A series of gentle and charming stories illustrated by Maurice Sendak, need I say more?)


Amelia Bedelia, by Peggy Parrish. (This is another great series that the kids find quite funny.)


Frog and Toad Are Friends, by Arnold Lobel.


Hot Potato Mealtime Rhymes, by Neil Philip. (A new favorite.)


The Little House Series, by Laura Ingalls Wilder. (We read these again and again and even listen to them in the car; they are much beloved. The girls like to call themselves Mary, Laura and Baby Carrie and my, how those personalities match up!)


All books by Laura Numeroff, If You Give a Pig a Pancake, is my favorite.


Fancy Nancy, by Jane O'Connor, written by a mother of all boys! (These are books that scream: Wear a tutu while you read me! My girls LOVE them.)


How I Became a Pirate, by Melinda Long. (Almost all pirate books are welcome in our house, this one is extra good.)






No comments: