Saturday, February 7, 2009

Teething Pains

Anya lost her two front teeth. It was a very exciting event and they were also the first teeth that came out with out hysterical crying from Anya after it was over. Yeah!!! Although I almost lost it.

Anya calmly took out the first front tooth with a little help and everything was going well, the tooth fairy came, we struck our usual deal, (She leaves the teeth for Mommy but rewards Anya for her hard work.) and went about as normal. But then the second tooth became dangerously loose, there was concern that if we left if hanging around in that condition Anya may never eat again! So Anya worked at it and in the end had Mommy do the dirty work and we removed the tooth. Team work, Anya was happy and for a minute so was I.
Then it came to me that was THE TOOTH, the tooth that took my sweet gummy baby into a smiler with the pearly whites.
All of a sudden I was back to that moment, the very moment that it occurred to Paul and I our tiny baby was teething, her gums hurt sure, but it was a reminder that time moves on whether or not you are ready for it. I had loved that gummy toothless smile, it was the cutest thing you have ever seen, and now it was changing, and it gave me an odd ache. The same ache that I felt when, I packed away her newborn clothes while crying that she wouldn't wear that very onsie again. I know to some of you that might seem silly and I know that I can be a bit, OK at times quite, emotional. However I would think that most of you moms out there know what I'm talking about in some way, perhaps you handle it with more grace. I cry over the milestones, happy to see progress but sad to let some thing go. ( I even cried over Anya's last diaper) Anyway there I was again crying (in my heart, not wanting to freak Anya out) about a tooth, the tooth that started it all, when I remembered a poem that I'm sure some of you know that tells us to stop and smell the baby lotion, savor the loose teeth and all those little finger prints. I'm putting it on the blog and writing about all of this to remind all of us busy mommies caught in our days to stop what your doing, and give a cuddle, listen to a story, take a mental picture for tomorrow, :
Cleaning and scrubbing can wait 'till tomorrow for children grow we've learned to our sorrow. So quiet down cobwebs... dust go to sleep. I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.

I have come to terms that her smile is changing and am so excited by the new things that come around, like reading to her sisters, riding a two wheeler, and trying to tell jokes, motherhood is never boring that's for sure. I just might need a box of tissues that's all.

2 comments:

A House FULL of Grace said...

That was fast...that tooth was loose just last weekend when we saw you! Such a good reminder that it does go much too quickly. I have that poem framed in my entry hall. Whenever I'm dusting it, I remember the frailty of the time we have *right now*. As you well know, sometimes it's so easy to get caught up in the craziness of each day, I don't stop long enough to realize how blessed I am and how much joy God has given me right here in my own dusty, needing-to-be-vacuumed house!

Love you!

FeeBeeKay said...

Hi there - I hope you don't mind me leaving a comment but I found your blog through lovely Sara's gracious blog and came to have a look!

Your post is beautiful - I thought I was the only one crying about the little milestones my little girl is at (at 11 months) while the others in my post-natal group are getting excited about the next stage, and the newest thing their little one is doing! I was just sharing with Sara how I was finding it tough packing all her little things away!

Thank you for such a lovely, thoughtful and inspired post! It was really wonderful to read!

Blessings to you all

FeeBeeKay